0800 0685 362
0117 923 8445
0117 973 6806

Hanover Company Services, Ground Floor, One George Yard, London, EC3V 9DF, UK

Company Formation Specialists

Back to FAQExemptions

Who Can Be A Reporting Accountant?

A reporting accountant is either:

  • any member of a body listed below who, under the rules of that body, is entitled to engage in public practice, and who is eligible for appointment as a reporting accountant; or
  • any person, (whether or not a member of any such body), who is eligible for appointment as a company auditor under the rules of that body.

The bodies referred to above are the:

  1. The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales;
  2. Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland;
  3. Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland;
  4. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants;
  5. Association of Authorised Public Accountants;
  6. Association of Accounting Technicians;
  7. Association of International Accountants;
  8. Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
  9. Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators. (This new addition applies to financial years ending on or after 30 January 2004).

An individual, body corporate or firm may be appointed as a reporting accountant. The reporting accountant must be independent and meet the conditions set out in section 27 of the Companies Act 1989. This means, for example, that he or she cannot be an officer or employee of the company. Top Of Page

Online Company Formation